- Birth name: Bernard Joseph Baron
- AKA: Joey Baron
- Born: June 26, 1955 Richmond, VA USA
- Genres: Avant-Garde Jazz
- Occupation: Musician
- Instruments: Drums
- Years Active: 1975-present
- Labels: JMT, Intuition, ECM, Tzadik, Elektra, Nonesuch, CAM Jazz, DIW
- Associated Acts: Bill Frisell, John Zorn, Masada, Baron Down, Down Home Band, Gary Peacock Trio, Steve Kuhn Trio
- On the Web: Cruise Ship Drummer
Joey Baron is an Avant-Garde drummer who works frequently with major players like Bill Frisell and John Zorn.
Joey taught himself to play drums at the age of nine. As a teenager, he played in rock bands and dixieland jazz groups. After high school, he spent a year at the Berklee College of Music. He moved to Los Angeles in the early 1970s and embarked on a professional career, playing with Carmen McRae and Al Jarreau. In 1982 he moved to New York City where he often worked with guitarist Bill Frisell.
Over the years, Joey has led and recorded albums under his own groups as well as work as a freelance drummer and session musician with Chet Baker, Stan Getz, Dizzy Gillespie, Hampton Hawes, John Abercrombie, Toshiko Akiyoshi, Laurie Anderson, Davis Bowie, Jakob Bro, Uri Caine, James Carter, Anthony Coleman, Dave Douglas, Mark Feldman, Fred Frith, Richard Galliano, Fred Hall, Marc Johnson, Lee Konitz, Steve Kuhn, Joe Lovano, Pat Martino, Carmen McRae, Enrico Pieranunzi, John Scofield, Toots Thielemans, and many others.